Overview and Purpose
The Worthy Student Award is a $1,500 scholarship given to select Bozeman seniors to further their education. This scholarship program is unique in that recipients are personally selected by Bozeman educators, staff, and peers as deserving representatives of their graduating class. These scholarships recognize students who demonstrate good character, high ethical values, and the ability to persevere. Up to 40 scholarships are given to high school seniors each year.
History of the Award
In 1978, the Worthy Student Program was founded in honor of Marjorie Keeton, a teacher, school board member, and promoter of worthy ideals in the community. The concept of honoring seniors simply for their resourcefulness, dependability, respect and personal effort is unique to Bozeman and this scholarship program.
Each year, up to 40 Worthy students receive these scholarships and are honored, together with their educators at our “Worthy Student Celebration” event in May.
These scholarships are funded by our community – parents, families, individuals, business owners, law firms, banks and other professional organizations who show their support.
Worthy Student Scholarship recipients demonstrate many behaviors of good character and core ethical values:
- Keeping their word: doing what they say they will do
- Treating others with respect, fairness and courtesy
- Respecting differences in culture, social status, beliefs and opinions
- Demonstrating consistent effort in meeting academic and personal responsibilities
- Persevering and working through challenges and difficulties: not giving up
- Using their skills and abilities to the highest level or degree
- Cooperating, collaborating with, and assisting others
- Being open-minded and listening to others’ opinions
- Going out of their way to be considerate, supportive and helpful to others
- Frequently doing more than is expected or required
They also may have demonstrated personal courage or academic proficiency by:
- Overcoming a struggle or an obstacle in or out of the school environment
- Demonstrating the potential for being successful in continuing education at the university level, vocational or technical school, or other professional training
- Earning a 2.5 or higher cumulative GPA
This spring, we will host the 40th Annual Worthy Student celebration, honoring 40 Worthy Student Scholarship recipients from the Bozeman High School class of 2019, along with the distinguished educators who have made a difference in their lives.
Your support of this event is integral to the achievement of these students and educators.
Annual Giving Amount